Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Developing My Personal GAME Plan!



 
Technology is constantly changing our world, and teachers must be equipped with teaching practices to prepare students for their features. As educators, we have the responsibility not only to teach content knowledge but also to implement technology that will solidify the content and engage our students.  The International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE) provides five National Education Standards for Teachers (NETS-T):
  1. Facilitate and Inspire Student Learning and Creativity
  2. Design and Develop Digital Age Learning Experiences and Assessments
  3. Model Digital Age Work and Learning
  4. Promote and Model Digital Citizenship and Responsibility
  5. Engage in Professional Growth and Leadership
Deep down, I know that I could better serve my students if I were to provide more authentic learning opportunities where students have a choice in their processes and products. By doing this, I need to be more confident in designing and developing digital age learning experiences and assessments (NETS-T, 2008). Educators are constantly preparing new instructional strategies and finding ways to effectively integrate them into the content.  I also would like to gain more confidence in engaging in professional growth and leadership (NETS-T, 2008).
That being stated, Dr. Katherine Cennamo recommends making a GAME plan to to use a guide through the process (Laureate Education Inc, 2009). My professional GAME plan is as follows:
G: Set Goals-
·         Design and develop digital age learning experiences and assessments
·         Engage in Professional Growth and Leadership
                         
A: Take Action-
I will begin with blogs, which will provide the opportunity to strengthen my professional growth and leadership.   I have already taken the step in the right direction of improving by professional growth by subscribing to different educational blogs in my RSS feeder.  Cennamo, Ross, & Ertmer (2009) discuss different types of communication that can be done through blogs.  By having this blog your reading now and an account with Edmodo, which Edmodo allows me to be part of different teaching communities that relate to my topics of interest.  For example, I am part of a technology community, which allows me to read different informational blogs to expand my knowledge.  By adding different educational blogs to my feeder, it provides a beneficial experience. These blogging experiences provide me the opportunity to be exposed on different information from teachers all over the world, and the opportunities can range from leadership conferences, reading skill building, technology courses and several others.  Having a blog, such as Edmodo also provides professional development classes in which I can sign up for online and earn a certificate.   I would also like to sign up for 1-2 seminars on training on a few different technology tools.  By reading different blogs and taking seminars I will become more proficient in the digital age and assessments and be more confident in designing and developing experiences and assessments that implement technology.  The leadership area is where I feel I could build more confidence in myself.  The knowledge that I am learning, I would like to share with my other colleagues.  I feel that by contributing what I am learning with my school, not only will I benefit by my colleagues as well, which will guide them and hopefully help them find ways to develop a more engaging classroom.  I would also like to invite my colleagues to my room, so I can demonstrate how I maintain and use the Edmodo classroom blog with my students for collaboration, reflection, and for my own professional growth, so I can help other teachers integrate this into their classroom.
M: Monitor Progress-
          I will monitor progress though contributions of blogs.  I will keep a reflection journal to monitor what I have learned from different readings and what reflect on the experiences from teaching colleagues to use EDMODO.  What I learn about technology tools, I will try to design a creative lesson and assessment and implement it with my students.  I feel this will help me build my confidence.  My reflection blog will allow me to note what is working, what is not working, and make revisions if needed.  I will monitor myself and pose questions, such as what technology do I need to work on now, and set times during the week to check blogs, pose questions and comments to enhance my learning.
E: Evaluation Actions and Process-
          I will evaluate my progress routinely by looking at the blogs effectiveness, and the seminars that I take.  I will evaluate what was successful and what I feel could change so I can become more proficient in designing lessons and assessments for my students.
Overall, the GAME process allowed me to tackle the steps on how I can strengthen my goals that I feel weak in, so I can build my confidence and integrate new technology into content areas that will benefit student learning, and my colleges.  I have already begun my GAME plan.
 References
Cennamo, K., Ross, J. & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use: A standards-based approach.(Laureate Education, Inc., Custom ed.). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.
International Society for Technology in Education. (2008). National education standards for teachers (NETS-T). Retrieved from: http://www.iste.org/standards/nets-for-teachers
Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2009).Enriching Content Area Learning.  Experiences with Technology. Baltimore, MD: Author.

3 comments:

  1. Hello Julie :
    Thanks for such detailed Game Plan! The set of goals that you cited :Design and develop digital age learning experiences and assessments and Engage in Professional Growth and Leadership are the key to developing a well prepared Game Plan to introduce technology in the classrooms because it maximizes the students learning and help them to become more involve with the topic using the standard as a guide.
    We as teachers must be aware and ready to use most of the technological tools available, and teach them to the students in order to keep them involved with technology for their benefit. Technology is the greatest tool because of the different end product that we can obtain from : research to virtual tours and animation.
    We are all sharing this magnificent ideas, thanks to your input

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Eleanne for your thoughts. I agree that technology also students benefit and we can get a different end product as well. You mentioned virtual tours and animation. Have you been able to use these tools or try to use them with your students yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you have an excellent point when you say that you need to build confidence to work technology into the classroom. As the technology coach, I have never looked at it from that perspective in that teacher's may not be incorporating technology because they lack the confidence to do so. The GAME Plan provides a workable way to meet goals. Whether it is a teacher, student, or business person applying the GAME Plan framework to his/her life, this tool really does make what may appear to be overwhelming or unattainable more realistic and manageable. I want to encourage you to take time this summer to empower yourself and have a GAME plan for how to utilize some of the tools that we are learning in this session
    -Akilah King

    ReplyDelete